ATTENTION! This is a Rotting Dead safety alert! *Warning* - The following shelters have been closed due to overwhelming zombie activity in the area: Midtown Civic Center/Tucson,AZ - Dearborne Athletic Center/Boulder,CO - Carlin Research Institute/Dover,DE - Maestro Convention Center/Miami,FL - Brady's Memorial Hospital/Lansing,MI - Kindgom Hospital/Castle Rock,ME - Greens Elementary/St. Louis,MO - Allied Mutual West/Minneapolis,MN - Sunrise Medical Ceter/Hendricks,NV - Glasgow Shiners Convention Center/Ennis,MT - Las Alemedas Civic Hall/San Antonio,TX - Harris County Hospital District/Houston,TX - Pallisades Community Center/Salt Lake City,UT - - - Bloggers are urged to remain in their homes and stay away from highly populated areas of the city. This message will repeat....

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Horror-esque

Horror.

From the countless websites, movies, and stories I have perused,( as well as a growing list of people who enjoy my blog) I can see that horror is a growing attraction for a large portion of the population. What fascinates us about horror? Is it the desire to see something darker than ourselves, assuring us that we are in the light? Is it that age old lure of wanting to experience a fright, like on Halloween? Maybe it is a part of us that we choose to stimulate when other senses in our lives do not provide satisfaction? Whatever the reason, there are those of us that seek frequent jaunts into the terrifying sometimes entertaining realm of horror.

Now, I of course would never condone the use of this passion to promote real evil. I understand that some subjects of horror writing and films are taken from real life. But that should not be taken as a bad thing. To understand (or want to understand) the minds of the people who create real horror can help us remain secure in our sanity. Books and movies about real people like Jim Jones, Charles Manson, Ed Gein, and Jeffery Dahmer are indeed quite disturbing, but if someone were not brave enough to tell the tale, we would not have the opportunity to try and understand.

Fictional tales of horror may be easier to understand for the majority of my visitors. You see we are less connected to horrors we read about or see on the silver screen, save one important aspect. That aspect is the way horror related topics play are on primitive fears. Whether we are reading a thriller novel or watching a slasher flick, we are tapping into something primal.

One way that I have come to understand horror is that it is like opening a dark doorway within yourself. I don't mean into your own psyche, more like into what scares(and possibly thrills) you? If you do not like what you see there, then you are probably not a great horror fan. But those of us who are intrigued with what we find behind that door are treated to a world of sensory stimulation met by few other means. I say few others because one can find that same kind of rush riding a roller coaster for example in a controlled environment. Very scary to some, mildly arousing to others.

Horror fans look for the next ( or go back to a favorite) thing that makes us jump, chills our bones, or makes our hearts beat faster and faster with frightened expectations. We seek oppotunities to experience horror in a wide range of topics such as zombies, witches, voodoo, werewolves, supernatural possesions, blood & guts gore, and psychological horror.We have embraced the darkness, not to BE dark, evil or horrific, but rather to touch the place within ourselves that fascinates us so much.

So we write literature about horror (My samples can be found in the side bar Poetry & Stories), read books from fantastic authors like Stephen King, or watch movies (Read my reviews here at Movie Talk) that feed our desire to touch the darkness. As I re-read what I am about to post I also understand that some people may feel that liking horror means one has some kind of illness. To those visitors who feel this way I say, be open-minded and realize that to engage in these mediums to experience horror, is not the same as a desire to want to perform acts of real life horror. (And by the way, why are reading a blog about horror anyway?...*L*)

Descend into madness and swim in the blackness that is a real part of your soul as you enjoy the horror topics presented here. I hope to continue bringing you all horror movie reviews and samples of my original horror writing as the years go by. Until the end, the rotting dead await you here in cyber space.



  • Today's Cure song is "Maybe Someday" from the Bloodflowers CD-(2000) This is a song about wanting to let go but realizing that there is still a chance sometime in the future for another interaction. Could be about love, but I think Robert was saying that he thought the band should break up after the 2000 Dream Tour. This song would lend itself to his thoughts that maybe someday would come and it DID this year with the release of a new album and the Curiosa Festival tour. Glad they stuck together to give us more of what we love.
"I'll see you smile as you call my name. Start to feel, and it feels the same. And I know that maybe someday's come. Maybe someday's come...again!"

CJ

4 Comments:

Blogger Chica said...

I agree with you there has been a surge in "horror" films. I think that the The Sixth Sense brought forth a whole different type of "horror" film and, of course, the Blair Witch Project has made it easier for any body with a shoestring buget to have a movie.

Wednesday, September 01, 2004 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger PDawg said...

Gotta tell ya, CJ, I am not a horror flick fan (I'm a chicken...) but I really do enjoy reading your take on stuff, and your eloquent posts. :)

You may make me a believer yet... ;)

Thursday, September 02, 2004 6:10:00 PM  
Blogger PDawg said...

Oh, yeah, and I also like to see what the Cure song of the day is. :)

Thursday, September 02, 2004 6:11:00 PM  
Blogger Jaileigh said...

I love to be scared, and yet I hate it. LOL! I love riding roller coasters, reading scary books or watching scary movies. But I HATE when my husband sneaks up on me and touches me or speaks to me when I don't know he's there. He always teases me and asks, 'well who did you think would be here?' UGH! But I do admit that sometimes I feel if I'm not startled or frightened at least once daily, my heart lacks sufficient exercise. LOL! I've always been weird like that. See you around CJ, and let me know if you want me to make you a skin for your blog.

Friday, September 03, 2004 9:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home