ATTENTION! This is a Rotting Dead safety alert! *Warning* - The following shelters have been closed due to overwhelming zombie activity in the area: Midtown Civic Center/Tucson,AZ - Dearborne Athletic Center/Boulder,CO - Carlin Research Institute/Dover,DE - Maestro Convention Center/Miami,FL - Brady's Memorial Hospital/Lansing,MI - Kindgom Hospital/Castle Rock,ME - Greens Elementary/St. Louis,MO - Allied Mutual West/Minneapolis,MN - Sunrise Medical Ceter/Hendricks,NV - Glasgow Shiners Convention Center/Ennis,MT - Las Alemedas Civic Hall/San Antonio,TX - Harris County Hospital District/Houston,TX - Pallisades Community Center/Salt Lake City,UT - - - Bloggers are urged to remain in their homes and stay away from highly populated areas of the city. This message will repeat....

Monday, April 04, 2005

Yokoso ni Houston!

"Welcome to Houston!"


Saturday was a spectacular day to attend the 12th Annual Houston Japan Festival in Hermann Park. It was great to take in the sights and sounds of the Japanese culture. My wife, my son and I were there for about 3 hours and enjoyed so much! My personal favorite was listening to the Taiko. The Japanese drums not only sound awesome but are so very much a part of the artistic culture. I also enjoyed watching a Kendo demonstration . My wife always like to take a stroll through the Japanese gardens, which are a permanent attraction in the park, but this time it was extra special with the presentation of Banzai trees, Japanese flower arrangements, and a Tea Ceremony.

What my son loved most, actually had nothing to do with the festival itself. As I was when I was his age, he is fascinated by trains, so off we went (he and I) around Hermann park on the little train. He waved to the people and loves how it winds and turns on the “squiggly” track. The moment we were about to pull back into the station, he wanted to go again.

Now you know you are not going to attend a festival of any kind and not partake of the foods. We had sausage on a stick, eggrolls and rice, chicken teriyaki and noodles, and a Texas Tater Twister. Just in case you are about to ask, that is basically fresh potato chips. They spin a potato on a small lathe which spins the potato into a thin spiral shaved heap which is then deep fried, Viola! Potato chips!

So, we had a grand time, the weather was perfect, and where else would see a 2 ½ foot Koi? The sun was particularly brutal but luckily my son was running around too much for the sun’s rays to catch him and he came home with no burn, unlike Mama and Dada who were lightly toasted.




  • Today's Cure song is All Cats Are Grey from the FaithCD - (1981) A song Robert says is about a nightmare of being lost in caves and the fear of growing old. For me it has a very distant feel to it, like being in outer space or something. Since I have never been in outer space, it is what I think it would feel like...:-)

"No shapes sail on the dark deep lakes
And no flags wave me home"

CJ

1 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women
No fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark
Everyone around me is a total stranger
Everyone avoids me like a psyched lone-ranger
Everyone

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 4:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home