ATTENTION! This is a Rotting Dead safety alert! *Warning* - The following shelters have been closed due to overwhelming zombie activity in the area: Midtown Civic Center/Tucson,AZ - Dearborne Athletic Center/Boulder,CO - Carlin Research Institute/Dover,DE - Maestro Convention Center/Miami,FL - Brady's Memorial Hospital/Lansing,MI - Kindgom Hospital/Castle Rock,ME - Greens Elementary/St. Louis,MO - Allied Mutual West/Minneapolis,MN - Sunrise Medical Ceter/Hendricks,NV - Glasgow Shiners Convention Center/Ennis,MT - Las Alemedas Civic Hall/San Antonio,TX - Harris County Hospital District/Houston,TX - Pallisades Community Center/Salt Lake City,UT - - - Bloggers are urged to remain in their homes and stay away from highly populated areas of the city. This message will repeat....

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Amityville Horror (2005)

The House With Eyes returns! The incredible story of a family terrorized by evil spirits after moving into a home that was the site of a grisly mass-murder is fantastically re-told by director Andrew Douglas. What sets this new version apart from the classic 1979 The Amityville Horror , is the scare factor. The thought I had immediately following the end of the movie was, "Even the predictable scares were done excellently."

Ryan Reynolds (of "Blade: Trinity" fame)did the most spectacular job of reprising the role of George Lutz. The role of Geroge Lutz was previously held in the minds of horror fans solely by James Brolin, Reynolds surely pleased fans of the original movie putting him side by side with Brolin.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching a relatively new director bring together such a stunning grade 'A' re-make. The plot (whether based on fact or fiction) is true to the story we have all come to love and flows in Douglas' version as well as, if not better, than the original. Not surprising when you note that producer Michael Bay had a hand in blockbusters such as "Bad Boys" "Armageddon" and "Pearl Harbor". The special effects (which are superb!)help bring this verison to mastery status. They are courtesy of David J. Barker, who has films under his belt that include "Hildalgo", "Ocean's Eleven" and the hit television series "Angel".

One difference I really liked is how in this version, George never 'sees' the light enough to save his family. It is Kathy Lutz (played by Melissa George) who ends up taking action to get the family away from the house. I also find it interesting as a side note that this so called true story always has changes in the details. Granted it only supposedly based on a true story but as I mentioned in my post on the original 1979 film, there is so much information out there on both sides of the arguement. Well, whatever the case it is afterall just Hollywood.
Or is it? Hmmm, it's 3:15 am....


  • Today's Cure song is Charlotte Sometimes from the Standing on a Beach - The Singles CD-(1986) Compilation album of the officially released singles from 1979-1985. According to Robert, this particular song was inspired by the eponymous book by Penelope Farmer.(Okay I had to look the word 'eponymous' up; it means a character in a play,book,song, etc. that has the same name as the title)

"On that bleak track
(See the sun is gone again)
The tears were pouring down her face
She was crying and crying for a girl
Who died so many years before... "

CJ

4 Comments:

Blogger Chica said...

I think I might see that one, I saw the original so I will not be too surprised. As you know, I am not one to see scary movies.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 2:52:00 PM  
Blogger Giggling Ghost said...

I saw all of the Amityville's...except this one...I'm going to have to check it out!

Thursday, May 05, 2005 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Ms. Lori said...

When I first heard this was to come out, I couldn't wait to see it, but then I read some terrible reviews, scathing reviews...

I trust your opinion considering I jumped on Shaun of the Dead after your review -- it's now one of my favorite zombie flicks.

Friday, May 06, 2005 5:59:00 AM  
Blogger Zombie_Flyboy said...

Hi, I really like your website and the movie reviews. I don't know if I'll see this one at the movies or not, but I'll watch it eventually.

The first Amityville creeped me out when I was little, and the way the house looks like an evil face just kicks all kind of ass.

The CourtTV website has a really good article on the murders that happened in the house. You should check it out if you haven't.

Later!

Thursday, May 12, 2005 1:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home