ATTENTION! This is a Rotting Dead safety alert! *Warning* - The following shelters have been closed due to overwhelming zombie activity in the area: Midtown Civic Center/Tucson,AZ - Dearborne Athletic Center/Boulder,CO - Carlin Research Institute/Dover,DE - Maestro Convention Center/Miami,FL - Brady's Memorial Hospital/Lansing,MI - Kindgom Hospital/Castle Rock,ME - Greens Elementary/St. Louis,MO - Allied Mutual West/Minneapolis,MN - Sunrise Medical Ceter/Hendricks,NV - Glasgow Shiners Convention Center/Ennis,MT - Las Alemedas Civic Hall/San Antonio,TX - Harris County Hospital District/Houston,TX - Pallisades Community Center/Salt Lake City,UT - - - Bloggers are urged to remain in their homes and stay away from highly populated areas of the city. This message will repeat....

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Saturday Night Wrist

Saturday Night Wrist!!! This latest release from the Deftones hit the shelves on Halloween 2006. I got my copy a couple of weeks afterwards. Man what a roller coaster ride this CD is. I love it! Each song has a strength, and most resonate with me as I have become accustomed to expect from this awesome group. "Hole in the Earth" made it's internet debut about 3 weeks before the CD went on sale and I loved it from the first time I heard it. After reading an article about the imminent release of the CD I discovered that the band had some trouble in completing the project. Quoting bassist Chi Cheng about Chino's slow-to-progress movement... "We'd been asking him, pleading and begging him to finish. We all support him in whatever he does, but please just finish the album." and boy did they!!

I love the song "U,U,D,D,L,R,L,R,A,B,A,B,SELECT,START" which is a spectacular intrumental. The title gives nod to the Konami video game code popular in the 80s with Nintendo freaks...like me!! Another favorite is "Beware", so moving and deep. If you 'get it' then you really get it, if not, you will still enjoy this great contribution to the album. I like "Cherry Waves", "Mein", and "Pink Cell Phone" as well, they all move me in different ways. My absolute favorite right now after a couple of months of floating along on these magnificently melancholic waves is "Xerces".

Researching the title "Xerces" turned up a fascinating reference to the Xerces Blue butterfly. This is an extinct species of butterfly that lived in coastal sand dunes of the Sunset District of San Francisco. The Xerces Blue is believed to be the first American butterfly species to become extinct as a result of loss of habitat caused by urban development. In the song, the lyrics refer to "leaving this earth" and saying 'Goodbye' and just rings out with sadness. I am not sure if this is THE reference that Chino was using when he wrote the song, but it certainly fits and makes for great conversation on the matter.

So for me, this has been a fantastic journey of music and I intend to keep Saturday Night Wrist on the CD changer list for a good while to come!!

CJ

P.S. - No Cure song today...:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home