ATTENTION! This is a Rotting Dead safety alert! *Warning* - The following shelters have been closed due to overwhelming zombie activity in the area: Midtown Civic Center/Tucson,AZ - Dearborne Athletic Center/Boulder,CO - Carlin Research Institute/Dover,DE - Maestro Convention Center/Miami,FL - Brady's Memorial Hospital/Lansing,MI - Kindgom Hospital/Castle Rock,ME - Greens Elementary/St. Louis,MO - Allied Mutual West/Minneapolis,MN - Sunrise Medical Ceter/Hendricks,NV - Glasgow Shiners Convention Center/Ennis,MT - Las Alemedas Civic Hall/San Antonio,TX - Harris County Hospital District/Houston,TX - Pallisades Community Center/Salt Lake City,UT - - - Bloggers are urged to remain in their homes and stay away from highly populated areas of the city. This message will repeat....

Monday, November 28, 2005

The Dead Give Thanks

Wow! What a great Thanksgiving break I enjoyed. First allow me to break from the horror blog theme for a tic and share what I am thankful for. I am happy to be a husband (married now for 7 years), and a father of one 5 year old (and one of the way). Recently I was out of a job and was understandably worried about providing for my family. I spent two months looking for something that not only would suffice, but also feel right. I started my new job on November 1, 2005. So I know that we are truly blessed! I am thankful for my new job, for the new baby on the way (due in April) and for the continued blessings that God has delivered unto my household.

On Wednesday night we went to a little carnival by our home and my son enjoyed riding a couple of the kiddie rides and we all enjoyed funnel cake. My son had some cotton candy and I always love the sour pickles. For the first time ever, I won a bean bag toss game. You know the one where you have to knock down 6 tin cans from the pedestal? Well I have never been able to get them all off before, but that night I did a great job and took home a big stuffed bear.

Thursday, we got up early and make it downtown for the Annual Washington Mutual Thanksgiving Day Parade. I would like to mention the highlights; most importantly my son truly enjoyed the low-rider cars. He loved watching them use their hydraulics to bounce around and roll by at those weird angles. Now often parades have hang ups, and this one was no different. There were terrible lags in spacing. After the very first group (Texas Horse-back riders I believe) passed by, there was nothing for about 4 minutes. It was kind of like "Wow, one group passed by, is that it?"

Eventually they got it rolling at a pretty steady pace. My favorites were the bands (as usual) I love the sound of the drumline! My highest regard goes to: Ridgecrest Elementary School. That's right, elementary! I have never seen such tenacity in such youth. These kids were marching to the beat in perfect time, as a matter of fact, the drum major (who had to be all of 9 years old) was marching hard as if he were leading a national championship band! But it was the sound of the band that got my attention. Here are these grade school children banging and marching at a mastery level that seemed beyond their years, they did excellent!

The second band that gets honorable mention were the Austin High School Mustangs Marching Band. Here were only a couple of handfuls of students, not all that great sounding, but out there in force of spirit. With more girls on a drumline than I have ever seen, they passed by keeping the beat and representing their school with their few numbers with all the pride of truly inspired musicians. The last band I will mention is purely comical, the Best Buy Geek sqaud with their "We don't need a marching band" Marching Band. It was too funny to see these guys dressed in classic geek shirts and ties pulling along a Geek Squad balloon float and touting their computer services.

All in all, a great morning outing! The evening found us at home with a Turkey dinner, including stuffing & gravy, a tossed salad, green beans, macaroni & cheese, hot buttered rolls and cranberry-nut salad. Pumpkin pie for dessert, what a feast!

But wait, there's more, we went to see "Chicken Little" on Friday (which includes the voice talents of great stars like Joan Cusack & Patrick Stewart). It was an entertaining movie worthy of the ticket price. I love to hear my son laugh and it is such a treat to enjoy that in a big theatre with a funny movie on the big screen. Saturday found us shopping and bringing home a 6' FiberOptic christmas tree. I know, I know, it is not traditional, but after years of sap-stained carpets or plastic tree wrestling, I am looking forward to something different.

Then Sunday, we went back to the carnival (Come on we had to use up the last of those 'Ride' coupons now didn't we?) more ride fun for my son and this time I went on the Tilt-A-Whirl and had a blast!! It has been a long time since I have been on a carnival ride and I must say it doesn't lose it's charm.

So, like I said it was great!!

In honor of the holiday season, today's song is something a little strange.




"It’s christmas at ground zero
There’s panic in the crowd
We can dodge debris while we trim the tree
Underneath the mushroom cloud"

CJ

5 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

I am so happy to hear your Thansgiving was so great!

:-)

Always good to hear from you on your blog, too!

Monday, November 28, 2005 6:32:00 PM  
Blogger Ms. Lori said...

CONGRATULATIONS on both the job and becoming a daddy for a second time!

The coming new year's gonna be a fantastic one for you -- enjoy!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 6:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to hear you were able to find another job; and a good one at that! being out of a job is always scary. also, glad your holiday was a great one!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Chica said...

Hey, this is the first time I read a family post on your blog. Congrats on the new baby!

Friday, December 02, 2005 12:44:00 AM  
Blogger Cie Cheesemeister said...

Great song quote! Hee hee--nice and morbid--perfect for us horror fans!
Glad to hear about someone whose life is going well and hope it keeps on that way for you. I am also thankful for my family: my son, and the fact that my dad has recovered reasonably well from the stroke he had last year. Long way to go, but he's come a long way. Thankful that my mother hasn't killed him yet--he can be a difficult person, but he means well.
Like you, I'm also thankful on the job front. I finally am in a position that I truly enjoy, after years of doing work that I could only minorly tolerate or downright hated.
And I'm thankful for my great friends, some of whom are with me after more than 20 years of knowing me!
Now, if only I could work the rest of this pumpkin pie off my thighs--damn middle-aged metabolism!
Peace,
The Infamous Cheesemeister

Friday, December 02, 2005 2:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home